RE: Melbourne IT's records

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:06:29 +1100
This is categorically not fair as:

This approach flies in the face of natural justice for those that
actually read or knew the registration rules and thus did not apply
for generic or reserved names.

It would be quite unjust to proceed in this way as the current rules
would effectively enable a reservation process which it is clearly
stated not to be.

I will stress again I have clients (and I place myself in this group
by the way) who have clearly indicated they will proceed with legal
action against the relevant authority if an auction is only allowed
for people that have attempted to register a generic name in the past.

The rules and regulations have stated that a reservation process does
not exist. By pursuing this option you are actually penalizing those
who knew and understood the regulations. Who did not clutter the
process with unnecessary applications just to be on the safe side.

By the way how would you cope with the telephone calls to the help
desk about questionable domains. I have made a few and I would put
money on not being the only one.

My suggestion:

1/ a general registration period that is publicized in the press. Say
one month.
2/ If there are problems with a free for all the day it is announced
should act as a cut off for existing relevant legal entities (if it
is legal entity based of course). (Personally I think a land grab
stamped could be rather fun to watch).
3/ Applications are taken and randomly given to those that have
applied at the new price i.e., much lower than the current monopoly
price..
4/ If no one applies then it just becomes available as per normal.
5/ This should only happen once the new players are in the registration market.

Quick sharp neat and fair. If you wanted to be pedantic you could
email old applicants to notify them of the changes.

Matthew King