Re: [DNS] Internet Name Group scam

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:18:57 +1000 (EST)
Presumably their idea of say a 6 year renewal is that they will pay
Melbourne IT (or some future com.au registrar) every two years for
renewal until the 6 years is up, with no need for action by the customer.
So this would really be a renewal of 2 years and pre-payment of two
further 2 year renewals after that.

So if this business (ING/INP) goes broke in 3 years time, then your
`renewal' with them might only in fact last for 4 years in the real
world.

Further, if there is a name policy of checking eligibility or
similar at renewal time, then it is possible that the renewal at
the 2 or 4 year mark might be rejected based on the policy in
force at that time.

And of course there is every likelihood that com.au domain names
(and others) will be significantly cheaper in 2 or 4 years time
than they are today.

I wonder if these risks are explained to the recipients of offers.

Their FAQ also has a strange idea of the legal registrant, which is
not applicable at least to com.au.  In com.au the registrant is the
company or business organisation which applies for the name, not the
individual who makes the application (on the registrants behalf) or
the admin contact (who is a representative of the company/business).

] Josh, thanks for your message.
]
] David, thanks for your suggestion.
]
] The ACCC are already aware of this practice and are investigating. In any
] event I am intending to issue another Consumer Alert this time dealing
] specifically with the 'renewal' of domain names for any period longer than 2
] years. I'll post a copy to the list.
]
] Cheers
]