Re: [DNS] Advertising on AUNIC - Competitive neutrality?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:27:52 +0800
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001, Scott Neville wrote:
> > As far as the point Scott made about "doing it for the good of the
> > community for nix", well, that's how AUNIC was done before we hosted it.
> > That's how .org.au is currently done. Sounds nice...works?...well not really.
>
> thats how www.sendmail.org is currently done..
> thats how my GNU mirror site is done..

 .. and who deals with the help requests?

> Sounds nice.. works? damn right they do..
>
> those sites have enough bandwidth to flood australia.. finding a few bad
> examples doesnt prove your point.. I can find just as many that 'prove'
> the opposite..

Scott, .org.au and aunic are a little more than "come here to read webpages
and download some source code" pages.

I'm one of the squid guys and I also run the .nl mirror. *I* personally
get asked by users for squid help (including one rather irate IT manager
in the UK a couple of months ago, who actually called me and abused me
for "this squid thing which is causing this website to not work") even
though there are a set of perfectly good instructions for subscribing
to a perfectly good help mailing list (squid-users) and a perfectly good
FAQ.

AUNIC has a lot more riding on it. If it went down or was unreachable,
I'm sure a few people would complain.

Adrian, who has no DNS affiliation, really.

--
Adrian Chadd			Yeah, for me its (XML) like the movie Titanic.
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Everybody loves it.