[DNS] RE: [LINK] Link Institute: auDA v. Elz ?!

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:38:21 +0800
Roger Clark wrote:

> If ever there was an issue that the Link Institute should weigh in on,
it's this one.  After reading the article, note the last para.

> Can anyone provide briefings on this one, from *both* auDA's and Elz's
perspective, and maybe from a few other angles as well?

Roger

As a member of the auDA Name Policy and Competition Model Advisory Panels
(one of 50+ members) for the last year, I have seen only one written
communication between auDA and Robert Elz.

Regarding the report in The Sydney Morning Herald article -- "It is believed
Mr Elz said he did not have confidence in auDA's ability to run the domain
name system or determine policy." -- a submission to auDA in March 2001 by
Robert provides an insight to his concerns at that time.

Robert expressed views in his submission in response to the Second Public
Consultation Report of the auDA Name Policy Advisory Panel
<http://www.auda.org.au/panel/name/submissions/elz.html>.  He was critical
of the *draft* policy set out in the Report.  I agreed with some of his
views and built upon them in SETEL's submission to auDA and in Name Panel
debate / discussions.  I'm not aware of any written response to Robert from
auDA that addressed the specific points in his submission.  The Name Policy
Advisory Panel discussed his submission, along with many others, in
formulating its final report.

For an auDA perspective on redelegation see:

- auDA posting of 30 May 2001 <http://www.auda.org.au/docs/org.au.html>

- auDA Media Release of 7 June 2001: auDA requests ICANN to re-delegate .au
<http://www.auda.org.au/docs/redelegate.html>

- auDA posting of 12 June 2001 at <http://www.auda.org.au/redelegation/>.

The following article of 5 June 2001 triggered a DNS List discussion
<http://australianit.news.com.au/common/storyPage/0,3811,2073842%5E442,00.ht
m>.  There was some robust debate and questioning of auDA's actions on this
List.  To the credit of auDA's CEO, there was frank and open discussion over
a number of days on the List.  The archive to the List is not accessible at
this stage (it's not where it's supposed to be!).

I've copied this email to the DNS List and auDA's CEO and the Name Panel.
Others may wish to comment.  (I'm unable to respond to any postings until
this evening.)

Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre Limited (SETEL)
PO Box 58   Jamison   ACT   2614   Australia
02 6251 7848 (B)   02 6251 7835 (F)   0413 990 112 (M)
www.setel.com.au   mailto:ian.johnston&#167;setel.com.au

SETEL is a national association advancing and representing
the interests of Australian small businesses as consumers of
telecommunications and electronic commerce.