RE: [DNS] ING charging $250 non-refundable for .BIZ and .INFO

From: Michael <michael§mediakinetix.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:15:47 +1000
Hello Don,

Everything you have written makes sense except for one thing.
Would it not make more sense that Domain names should be administrated by
the government?
If the manner in which .info and .biz are being globally marketed gives any
insight,
then clearly the current perception of a domain name is of something that
defines ones' mark of trade.
Certainly to this point, nearly all litigious proceedings regarding domain
ownership disputes have been fought and won on the basis of trademark law.

That being the case, wouldn't it make sense that the only logical home for
domain name records and administration
be with IP Australia.

I am certain that many synergies would already exist between the procedures
involved with administering and registering patents, trademarks and domain
names.
After all; they have sat right next to another thus far in many a court room
dispute - so why not store them together - I am sure many people could do
with one less search fee from their attorney.

Regards

Michael

btw

Richard, it's not what you take from a public information base, it's what
you do with it that counts. I can assure you that the arrival of the new
Privacy Act in December will put paid to all those "innovators" out there,
who think they can send brochures disguised as invoices and invoices
disguised as brochures to the "tick the box" set out there whom we want to
embrace our industry not shun it . Responsible service = valuable clients.