Re: [DNS] ING charging $250 non-refundable for .BIZ and .INFO

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:59:58 +1000 (EST)
] I've come into this at a late stage, and I may be covering ground that's
] already been gone over - in which case, my apologies.  We've had many of our
] clients ring us in concern about ING's unsolicited emails regarding  the
] .BIZ and .INFO pre-registration.
]
] My concern is how can ING be given access to bulk information for the
] purposes of what those of our clients who rang us for clarification, regard
] as spam.

As Kim Davies and I mentioned a few days ago, in years gone by it was
possible for anyone to get bulk information from ftp.aunic.net.  This
was turned off permanently by auDA on 1 September 2000 (after being
on and off a few times earlier in 2000).

As Kim said, this data got out, and cannot be taken back.

In addition to this, Chris Disspain (auDA CEO) put in place AUNIC
Terms of Use earlier this year, which basically says people who
query AUNIC data are not allowed to use that data for spam, or
to do automated high volume queries on AUNIC.

Registrants should also be aware that information supplied to AUNIC
for domain registration is publically available for people who want
to individually query it.  This has been the case for many years
(probably since AUNIC was started).

AUNIC tries (through www.aunic.net) to inform registrants that
information submitted to AUNIC will be publically available.  But
many people do not register directly through www.aunic.net, and
thus may not see these warnings.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management