Re: [DNS] Internet Registrations Australia

From: Richard Archer <rha§juggernaut.com.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 07:57:14 +1000
At 1:21 AM +1000 7/9/01, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

>Please, please AuDA I hope Australia can tread a rather more sensible line.
>Are domain names anything but a vehicle for businesses to make money out of
>selling... well... nothing?

Don't bet on it... from the media release put out by auDA on 20 August:

>auDA TO CONSIDER CREATING NEW DOMAINS IN 2002
>
>The auDA Board has approved the report of its Name Policy Advisory Panel on
>the possible creation of new second level domains (2LDs) in the .au domain,
>that would operate alongside the existing 2LDs (eg. com.au, net.au, gov.au,
>etc).
>
>The Panel's report stated that new 2LDs would give consumers more choice and
>enhance the utility of the .au domain.

Now, hopefully this proposed change will be limited to the "state.au"
names mentioned in the media release.

But if there's a whiff of a few extra bucks to me made I'm sure the
temptation will be very great indeed.

What is it about DNS that attracts kooks and scammers?

 ...R.