Fw: [DNS] Personal attacks and defamatory comments

From: Peter Ostenberg <peterost§start.com.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 8:17:08 +1000
Don,

Thankyou. I agree totally. Informed discussions and self moderation.

Regards,

Peter Ostenberg

Original message from: "Don Cameron" donc&#167;mudgeeab.com.au>

I agree with Larry totally here... this list has gone off the rails.
Since when did attacking an individual (shooting the messenger) become
a reasonable and accepted means of addressing an issue? People will
always be passionate about issues they believe in, so surely the task
of managers and administrators is to diffuse the passion by focusing
on the issue.

Numerous people have voiced concerns that are highly pertinent to the
administration of the Australian namespace, however baring a few
notable exceptions, the issues have been totally overrun by blatant
attempts to discredit the people concerned.

(PS Larry - I did note your valuable and welcome response to my
specific concerns - and thank you for changing the wording on your
site - my only concern about .au.com was that it should not be equated
to, or in any way affiliated with the .com.au namespace - they are
totally different entities, and it is right that they remain apart. I
certainly did not infer that
..au.com should be "banned" (or worse), and agree that you have just
as much right to profit from selling third-level domains as anyone
else. End of
story on my part).

However I remain concerned that the policy of this list does seem to
be one of "attack the messenger and the issue will go away". Doesn't
anyone read history books any more?

PPS - My vote goes to informed discussions and self-moderation... if
someone is so offensive that they truly need banning, the list should
be capable of
managing this by sheer weight of membership opinion. Though having
said this, Harry, if you do have any further concerns, maybe you could
try being a little less confrontational to specific list members. It
does work both ways.

Don Cameron

Affiliations - Formerly ran an ISP however nowadays has nothing to do
with Domain registrars other than being another bunny trying to
convince people
just why they SHOULD purchase a .com.au domain... though unfortunately
it's getting increasingly hard to convince myself why they should).

>--
>This article is not to be reproduced or quoted beyond this forum
without
>express permission of the author. 329 subscribers.
>Archived at http://listmaster.iinet.net.au/list/dns (user: dns, pass:
dns)