RE: [DNS] Code of Practice and enforcement

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:49:37 +0800
Bruce Tonkin (BT) wrote on October 22, 2001:

> I think it is a good idea that an industry code of practice
> is developed by industry consensus facilitated by auDA.
> In other words, the *industry* (especially registrars) should
> decide what it wants to put  into the code, and auDA should
> do things like organise meetings, provide secretariat
> services and make sure progress is being made.

BT: Agreed.  Although I define the industry to be registrars and resellers.

IJ:  I note that below Bruce also mentions consumer groups.  I would include
government departments and agencies with consumer functions and powers under
the laws of the Commonwealth, States and Territories.  The industry will
operate in a co-regulatory environment.

> But for that to work, you need an industry.  At the moment we
> have 2 or 3 commercial registrars, and only one in com.au.
> Setting a final code of practice in stone now would be
> pre-mature - we need to have a competitive registrar
> industry first, so those new registrars can fully participate
> in the process of drafting the code.

BT: This is where I disagree.  There already is an industry with over 500
participants.

BT: There is sufficient experience with many of the practices that are
likely to continue in one form or another into the future at the retail
level.  Thus now would be a good time to get some input on the interim code
of practice (from consumer groups as well as industry participants).

IJ: I agree with Bruce's comments.  However, recent Federal Government cuts
to consumer representation funding to SETEL mean that its role has been
reduced to "auDA watching" and, should a need arise, "whistle blowing".
Responsibilities for representation of the interests of small business
consumers, now fall almost entirely to government departments and agencies.

Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre Limited (SETEL)
www.setel.com.au   mailto:ian.johnston&#167;setel.com.au

SETEL is a national association advancing and representing
the interests of Australian small businesses as consumers of
telecommunications and electronic commerce