[DNS]

From: Don Cameron <donc§mudgeeab.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:47:27 +1100
ffice.nsa.net.au>
Subject: Re: [DNS] Re: Re Your Association's Domain Name
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:15:58 +1100

Hello Andrew and all,

This may be a little late to directly influence the current policy
regarding. asn.au, however I have been invited to present at the next
'Electronic Networks - Building Community Networking' Conference at Monash U
in July next year. This is a premier Australian IT community-building
conference and will be attended by a large number of policy-makers,
community development practitioners and ICT (CI) professionals. The aim of
the conference is to:

"Energise practitioners, policy makers, academics and business people
working in the field of community networking using information and
communication technology (ICT), and; To engage delegates in issues of
community networking and increase understanding in how community networking
principles can contribute significantly to community building through
partnerships". (Further information is available at: www.ccnr.net/2002/ ).

My intent was to present on the value and interaction of Social Capital into
community ICT initiatives, however following the issues raised by this
thread, I would very much like to coordinate a workshop (or refereed forum)
for delegates to discuss and assess the value of Internet naming services to
CI community-building initiatives. Not only would this work nicely into the
topic of Social Capital and the value of technology-based 'Commons', it
would also allow input into the topic from a good cross-section of
representative groups and individuals. The presentation / workshop would
fall under the banner of 'Social inclusion in the knowledge economy'.

To this end, I would like to ask Andrew, Skeeve, Jonathan, Adrian, Jeremy,
Ari and any others posting on this thread, if I may use and consolidate the
content of your postings into a broad synopsis. Subject to your approvals,
the content would form the basis of a presentation and arguments in favour
of retaining free domain services (amongst other techo-related services) for
the use of NFP's and other community-building or charitable organisations.
Of course anyone wishing to attend the conference to promote your viewpoints
directly is certainly encouraged to do so, and I would particularly welcome
any list member/s wishing to co-present on this topic.

Please note that all presentations are subject to prior approval by the
University coordinating committee, however I am confident the subject
material would be viewed as being sufficiently important and one offering
value to the overall aims and objectives.

In closing, (and I wasn't sure of the appropriateness of self-promotions on
this list, however considering that Jeremy has opened the door!) - I have
also nominated for a position on the auDA Board under the platforms of: The
need for regional and rural representation in auDA; Equity and social
justice in consumer relations, particularly as it applies to the matter of
NFP charging regimes, and; Industrial participatory conduct - i.e. an
effective Code of Conduct inclusive of all needs and viewpoints -
registrars, resellers, and community (consumers). I am nominating as a
Demand Class representative, and my nomination is based on a desire to do
more than to simply comment on this forum (I would like to offer something
more substantive). Please E-Mail me directly if you would like any further
information on my candidacy... end self promotions.

Regards, Don Cameron