Re: [DNS] Re: [Oz-ISP] A call on auDA

From: Don Cameron <donc§mudgeeab.com.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:26:27 +1100
Hi Mark and all,

Since some of the suggestions you have addressed are those I promoted, I'll
try to address a few of your points. We must be careful not to
overcomplicate by drawing objections that may not be there, however many of
your points are valid... we must also acknowledge that this isn't a 'new'
proposal - it's a proposal to maintain the status-quo - nothing more - I'm
also not quite sure how it is that individuals have now entered the
discussions... did someone suggest applying this to concept to .id
domains? - If my postings led to this conclusion then please accept my
apologies as this was not my intent.

With respect to cross-subsidisation, I suggested this as a possibility (no
doubt amongst many available options) - however this suggestion can clearly
go no further until we have some idea of what the overheads truly are, and
what margins have already been in-built into the current commercial charging
regimes (you may very well already be paying a subsidy :) - perhaps this is
something someone here may know of and care to post about??

The ethical issues are a challenge and I agree that some form of external
criteria would be required - The best option may be for applicants to
provide a Registered Charities Number, or some other verifiable document
certifying NFP status - obviously there are issues to work through, though I
don't see these as insurmountable.

With respect to liability issues, whilst it is not difficult to seek
indemnification against prosecution / liability for those tasked with
administering 2LD's as a community service (this is something every
volunteer organisation deals with at some stage or another), the process
would require consideration of all the issues and the adoption of some
fairly basic (but important) procedures - I'm not trying to oversimplify all
of this (nor am I trying to overcomplicate the process), and yes some work
would need to be done - What I am mostly trying to ascertain at this point
is the willingness of the industry to support the concept - if there is no
industry support, then it's hardly worth pursuing the matter into more
detailed analysis.

Cheers, Don Cameron