Re: [DNS] Domain Names & Trade Marks

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:30:49 +0800
On Tue, Nov 06, 2001, Don Cameron wrote:

> A Google search of 'Logistics' lists Australian entities such as 'The
> Logistics Association of Australia', along with quite a number of local
> logistics-related businesses. Clearly this is a generic word so the question
> posed is this: Should any single business achieve a business advantage by
> having this word as a registered domain?

Welcome to the wonderful world of "The DNS is not a directory tree".
DNS was never designed to deal with the concept of multiple companies
chasing the same name for "advertising", "cool", etc factor.
It was designed to provide a hierarchial naming scheme to IPv4
address space.

So, my answer would be "logistics.com.au should map to a page of
links to companies that run logistics services", but that
(a) is so far away from what people are even remotely used to
things operating, and (b) very far past the time where the AuDA
were taking public comment into account. :-)

> Both perspectives are valid, however the issue remains - Does the
> registration of a generic word in a business name automatically entitle the
> owner to an identical Australian Domain Name?

Be careful, and pick a 2LD namespace.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Auntie Em, Hate you. Hate Kansas.
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Taking the dog."