RE: [DNS] Industry self-regulation

From: Adrian Stephan <akstephan§ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 07:36:16 +1100
Dear Folks

At long last someone is getting close.  However, I am not sure one is needed
as I believe the current laws are probably close enough and only need some
regulations.  If the Government can introduce a regulation to protect the
name and identity of a cricketer, why can't this apply to everyone?  Some
.au focused Acts may in fact have to be repealed because they are may be
unworkable.

I don't know Don, but I think you will be the losers if you cannot find a
process to keep folks like this included.

Don is absolutely right, this is a legislative framework problem.  My
contribution to his idea is to ask the Govt to reform the entire identity
and property issues regarding business names, trademarks, domain names, etc
to establish laws and processes that people can establish businesses the
identity associated with businesses and not be stuffed around by people
making decisions on words they have no idea what they mean.

It must be looked at from that level and not just the .au world.  There are
cultural issues that have evolved since the Dutch East India Company and
don't ignore it.

I was working overseas early Oct and only now catching up on my mail.  If
you have not read BRW Oct 11-17, p28 article "Sovereignty demands a safety
net" I suggest that you do.

I know that I am probably seen as an eccentric critic, but from watching
this closely for a couple of years I sometimes think the whole process is
like shifting the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Mark is exactly right, in a few years business wont be the dominant domain
names holders.  You guys are trying to build something that is too hard for
business to work with so they will find something easier and more
protective. As I recall the last domain name I registered in .au was
dependability.com.au and that was simply to show that the MelbourneIT
process may not be as rigorous as they think it is.  Since, then if I need a
domain name I have found what I wanted somewhere else.

I had my case looked at by a law professor and his view was that I was
caught in some kind of weird trap.

The future is about identity and protection of that identity, I would even
go so far as to say that the existing TPA will not be sufficiently strong in
this area.

Don't try and reinvent the past, we have to create a future.  But the future
has to be equitable and have integrity for all entities.  A recent posting
stated a whole list of qualifications and reasons why they are an authority.
I and many others can do the same.  Mine are in logistics and management
science, but did that unique international and local expertise mean anything
to Jan Webster or auDA - not one jot!  In fact, instead of trying to learn
from it for free it only seemed to harden their line.  "I cannot be seen to
be wrong" and "We must protect our decision at all costs" seems to be the
main war cry's.

I guess I get a bit annoyed when I see people arguing about letters from
domain name whatever's and the role of ACCC to punish them.  If you don't
like the letters, get a shredder.  However, I do get annoyed when I get all
of this electronic junk mail that is more about exploitation of women,
prostitution, etc and not a word.  Why don't you look at a process of at
least isolating some of the ISPs these come from and shutting them down.

If you are going to achieve anything worthwhile you are going to have to
change your view of the world.  The world is not the .au domain space.  You
are going to have to be more inclusive and acceptable of alternate views.
>From my experience, there is need for a major cultural change within this
forum.  The problem, is I am not sure you know where you have to be in the
wider community in 10 years time.  The postings don't reflect such vision.

Rgds

Adrian

Adrian Stephan (Managing Director)
Logistics Pty Ltd
POB 5068
PINEWOOD  VIC  3149
Ph: +61 (0)3 9888 2366 Fx: +61 (0)3 9888 2377
akstephan&#167;ozemail.com.au
adrian.stephan&#167;logistic.com.au
www.logistic.com.au