Re: [DNS] Retention of domain name

From: Nick Andrew <nick§zeta.org.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:48:28 +1100
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 07:45:02PM +1100, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
> Well a better analogy is you retain your IP address.

The reasons we have domain names in the first place are so people don't
have to remember IP addresses, and to provide a stable mapping of name
to IP address over time. What's the point in retaining an IP address
if the names which point to that address are revoked and reassigned
to somebody else?

> The ".com.au" name is a licence, which reflects that you meet the
> eligibility requirement for a ".com.au" licence.    In all other licences if
> you are no longer eligible - then you lose the licence.

If your driver's license number changes, it doesn't matter to anybody. But
if your domain name changes, the whole world may be affected.

> If you wish to use the domain name for something else, then register the
> same name but a different suffix (e.g domainname.info, or yourname.name).

DNS lesson #1 ... "domainname.info" != "domainname.com.au", so it's not
"the same name".

With this policy of retrospectivity in place I cannot advise anybody to
use a com.au domain name.

Nick.