Authentication of com.au domain names

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:45:10 +1100
I understand that no authentication is required for a first delegation of a
com.au domain name.

i.e. the following could happen:

1. Domain name something.com.au is registered, but not delegated at time of
registration.
2. Some time later (e.g. 6 weeks) a delegation request for something.com.au
is submitted.
3. No authentication is required for that first-time delegation - i.e.
anyone could delegate the domain name to whatever nameservers they choose to
set-up.

If this is correct (I understand that authentication is required for
subsequent delegations) then I could identify all com.au domain names that
are registered but undelegated, set them up on my nameservers and delegate
them.

Could someone from the com.au Registrar, Melbourne IT, confirm whether the
above is accurate, or do I have it wrong?

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959