Re: [DNS] thread.119

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:25:29 +1100
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:04:09 +1100, Nick Andrew wrote:

> It's self-evident that most people who attempt to register a
> name and are knocked back by MelbIT either are (a) unaware of the
> generics rule, or (b) believe their name is not generic. There's
> only a third category, those who believe their name is generic,
> and hope MelbIT will make a mistake.

Hi Nick

Perhaps it would be better to rephrase the last one a little differently.  I
have been in the position of applying for a domain name which *might* be
considered generic depending on how the manual checker at Melbourne IT
interpreted the rules.

Let's say, for example, I wanted "clock.com.au".  The former rules define
generics as in the Macquarie Dictionary and with some commercial significance.
I would expect not to get "clock" because people buy and sell clocks.

But what about "time.com.au" ?  How would Melbourne IT interpret it?

The word "time" doesn't really have commercial significance.  But Melbourne IT
*could* refuse it on the grounds that it relates to timing devices, or bundy
clocks, or time pieces.  Who knows how they might interpret the policy?

My understanding is that Melbourne IT weren't always sure themselves and, in
some cases, they would refer the application to their legal advisers.

So I'd say the third category is those who believe their name could be seen as
generic but hope that MelbIT will decide in their favour for whatever reason.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss