Re: [DNS] thread.119

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:10:08 +1100 (EST)
So you're saying www.alltheweb.com gives a better ranking just
because they have a domain name which matches your search query.

Well, I went to www.alltheweb.com and typed in "books".
I went through the top 100 results, and couldn't find books.com
(or Barnes and Noble for that matter) anywhere.  I found books.ru
at number 95, which was about the only generic domain name.

I think its much more likely that www.alltheweb.com gives better
rankings to people who advertise (ie: pay money).  The people who
have cars.com probably paid a lot of money for the domain, and
are probably happy to spend money advertising on search engines.

Thanks for playing, next contestant please.

Anybody else think they know a search engine where sites get a
better ranking purely because they have a domain name which
matches the search query (and not because they paid money)?
Bonus points if its a search engine people actually use.

Tony Cooke wrote:
] Try going to http://www.alltheweb.com/ and typing in "cars" or "real estate"
] and see what comes up as the first hit.
]