RE: [DNS] Au Domain up for Auction?

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:48:15 +1100
> You can not really compare general generic domain names under .com.au
> with two letter domain names under .com.  Two and three letter domains
> under the big three gTLDs are scarce.

Which kind of emphasises that someone might struggle to get A$20,000 for the
specials com.au domain name.

> Do we really want to see the .com.au name space being sold off to the
> highest bidder like this?

That's a much discussed matter of opinion.  Mine is 'yes' - especially for
com.au domain names.  com.au names are supposedly for 'commercial'
organisations.  Its a normal part of commercial organisations' practices to
sell brands, trademarks, etc to other commercial organisations.

Since the com.au policy is being altered to specifially allow trademarks and
'substantial connection to the name' as grounds for a com.au domain name,
then we're going to have the situation where businesses have brands /
trademarks with matching com.au domain names.

Its a common practice to build up the value of a brand name or trademark,
and then sell it to another entity - it happens all the time.  The domain
name is going to have to go with it, or it makes a nonsense of allowing
trademarks or a 'brand' as a ground for obtaining a com.au name.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959