Re: [DNS] Court stamps out Australian Net registration scam

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:59:44 +1100
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:49:30 +1100, Joshua Rowe wrote:

> Court stamps out Australian Net registration scam

http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000024981,20263926,00.htm

"Suppliers of domain name renewal services and businesses who imply that they
are able to supply this service are warned not to mislead customers as to
their need to renew their domain name licence with a particular supplier or
the services the supplier provides, as such conduct puts the supplier at risk
of breaching the fair trading provisions of the Act," he added.

<snip>

Court orders require the proprietor of the company to send out corrective
faxes, display a corrective notice on the company Web site, implement a trade
practices compliance program and contribute to the ACCC's legal costs - a
figure that has yet to be determined. He must also refrain from making the
same misrepresentations again and the ACCC is following up refunds that have
not already been made. </quote>

Hi Joshua

Thks.  Perhaps this may have a sobering effect on the cowboys !!

Best regards
Patrick Corliss
I'm on the Board of auDA (the .au country code) as well as TLDA (the Top
Level Domain Association).   Please note that anything I write is my own
personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of any body
with which I am associated.  Please also note IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).