Re: [DNS] By passing name checks with ABN's for .au's

From: Peter <peter§instra.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:17:38 +1100
David

It is my understanding that the purpose of a check on an ACN, ARBN, ABN, or
Australian Registered Trade Mark is to verify that the applicant has some
business interest in Australia - not to decide who has the more deserving
claim.

In which case an ABN - with its tax reporting provisions - could not
provide a better test.

There are ample legal avenues for people who feel aggrieved with the
licensing of a particular domain to challenge it - and if you doubt it ..
try registering "Microsoft Australasia Pty Ltd" - its available. Then
register microsoft.net.au - its available (microsoft.com.au has been
licensed). I would be willing to bet that court action will take them from
you in a very short time.

I think that in making more and more restrictive rules you have to
seriously consider if you are doing it to big note yourself or to genuinely
protect the innocent (did I say "innocent" in the same context as
"Microsoft"!!!).

My personal view is that .au's are restricted enough without creating
artificial barriers.

Peter Dean
Director - A1 Registrar Pty. Ltd.
I am also a director of auDA but the views expressed here are simply my own
- and in no way is it implied that the above represents any official or
unofficial auDA policy.