Re: [DNS] ING PASSING THEMSELVES OFF AS MELBOURNE IT

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:02:17 +0800
Quoting Rod Keys on Friday March 22, 2002:
| I agree .....It was clear when melb it intoduced the reg key format that the
| document was not to be altered. Why was it downloadable only in PDF format?
| read don't alter.

Slightly off-topic, but...

I don't read PDF as "don't alter". In fact embedded within the PDF is
signed flags for this purpose, and for that document they read:

  Printing:  Fully Allowed
  Changing the Document:  Allowed
  Content Copying and Extraction:  Allowed
  Authoring Comments and Form Fields:  Allowed
  Form Field Fill-in or Signing:  Allowed
  Content Accessibility Enabled:  Allowed
  Document Assembly:  Allowed

Not that this is the be all and end all of the author's intent, because
most people just don't configure these from the permissive defaults. But
on the contrary, I don't think simply by publishing in PDF you want it
to be "read-only". You just want it to be readable by many people.

kim