RE: [DNS] RE: auDA to consider new names for .au

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:17:30 +0100
Presumably because they feel pressure from within the industry to move on
this issue as many of their counterparts have done recently (Nominet, Domainz
etc).

Nothing wrong with considering the issue, and arguably auDA has an obligation
to do so.  I just hope as per Ian's post below that a compelling case will
need to be made before any new 2LDs are created.

The experience of .us shows that some changes within a ccTLD are more than
warranted (though .us until yesterday was about as useful to the general
populace as id.au under its ridiculous 4 level structure).  On the other
hand, there are many examples of 2LDs within ccTLDs for which there appears
to be only minimal demand.  The recently approved (I think) 2LD within .nz
reserved for the maori community is one concept that may be worthy of serious
consideration...

rgds
jon