RE: [DNS] RE: auDA to consider new names for .au

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:13:33 +1000

Stand corrected.

As I understand it, the Registry gets the $6 per domain from the
Registrar.  ICANN gets funding from both Registry and Registrar, not
always easy to define as it takes various forms but as mentioned
previously can be up to the $1 mark or higher.  As Jon mentions,
different Registries may have slightly different fees.

Been giving a lot of thought to the costs involved in running a Registry
and don't see them as being too high.  Especially for low volume 2LD's
etc.  The main costs do seem to be the fees charged by upstream (TLD
Registries and governing bodies).

Consumers do seem to be paying for a lot besides what they are actually
getting.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.