RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:12:01 +1000
In protocol terms between the registry and the registrar it is quite simple.

For renewal through the existing registrar (ie renewal of current domain
name licence), use the <renew> command.

For transfer and renewal for a new domain name licence from a new registrar,
use the <transfer> command.  The registrant will also need to agree to a new
set of terms and conditions for the licence period (for example a new
registrar may include free web hosting as part of the new domain name
licence, and may charge more than the previous registrar).

The charge for both these commands by the registry to the registrar is the
same.

As David points out, the normal point when people shop around is when their
current service contract is up for renewal.  This is not rocket science,
that is how all other service contracts operate.

The only outstanding issue is whether a registrant can enter into a shorter
service contract than 2 years.  I think that the minimum period should at
least be 6 months, and preferably 1 month. The names panel chose to fix the
period at 2 years, but I think this should be reviewed in the context of
offering more choice, and making it easier to try out a new supplier before
paying up front for 2 years.

Regards,
Bruce