Validity checking on renewal

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 18:47:29 +1000
Hello Mark,

> * Validity Checking
> For domain name applications, the eligibility of the applying
> entity, and
> the name they're applying for, need to be checked.  Following
> the existing
> principle of grandfathering, validity checking is not
> necessary at time of
> renewal.

My understanding is that the validity must be checked at time of renewal
under the new regulatory environment.

Thus if a person that has a domainname on the basis of an existing company
or business name, and the company or business is subsequently de-registered,
then the domain name holder would no longer be eligible.

The grandfathering would apply that if they are still eligible under the
previous policy they keep the name.  If they are no longer eligible under
the previous policy they lose the name.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin