RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:24:49 +1000
Hello Jon,

> I'm not sure that mobile phone contracts are a good example.
> These contracts
> are usually based on the fact that the cost of the handset is
> bundled into
> the monthly fee payable.  They have a minimum contract length
> to ensure
> that the service provider recoups the cost of the handset
> over the life
> of the contract.  This makes them quite different to a domain
> name licence.

There is nothing stopping the same applying to domain name licences.  ie you
can bill the registrant monthly (I know of at least one com.au reseller that
does that).

If you want to have another example - consider software licences, or
software maintenance contracts - both are often paid for upfront, and when
you change suppliers it is a fresh contract.

Regards,
Bruce