RE: [DNS] Discount Domains and the ACCC

From: Ginger Fish <ginger-fish§scifi-art.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:09:41 +1000
For those who are unclear, the following correspondence was received by an
..au registrant who had had no prior dealings with Discount Domain Name
Services whatsoever.

http://www.scifi-art.com/ginger-investigations/another_one_for_the_ACCC.jpg

Interesting that Rod Keys doesn't consider his very recent marketing
deceptive. Perhaps he should read a little of the recent court orders
relating to ING as noted below.

THE COURT ORDERS BY CONSENT THAT:

Upon the first respondent, by its counsel, undertaking that until the
hearing
and determination of the proceeding, or until further order:
[snip]

(c) represents that it has a pre-existing relationship with a person, if in
truth it does not, in particular, by stating that there is such a
relationship
or by describing its notices as "Renewal Advices" or by an invitation to
"confirm" a renewal or by addressing its notices to "accounts payable".  The
notices it sends to those persons to whom it does not have a pre-existing
relationship will include the statement:  "You do not have to renew your
domain name registration through ING" (such statement to appear in the body
of
the text (in the same size and font as that text) on the front page of the
notices);  etc. etc.

Historical records re: Mr Rod Keys:

And here we have another case for the ACCC. Please refer to the following
correspondence received by an Australian consumer from Discount Domain Name
Services late last week:

[...]

DOMAIN NAME AUTHORITY OF AUSTRALIA (DNA) Business Manager - Rod Keys
                   -A PROVISIONALLY ACCREDITED .AU REGISTRAR
HISTORY:
"Scam claim over com.au reselling.
 http://www.it.mycareer.com.au/e-commerce/20001024/A2319-2000Oct23.html

"Melbourne's Domain Name Authority of Australia (www.dna.asn.au) has been
writing in hard copy to com.au name owners ahead of the renewal date,
offering to renew their names."

"Domain Name Authority of Australia (DNA) Business Manager - Rod Keys
"Domain name resellers blockade rival company"
http://www.it.mycareer.com.au/breaking/20001017/A56590-2000Oct17.html