RE: [DNS] Informing the Public

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:18:07 +1000
> Does anyone know when the new domain name policy will
> come into effect. Will it happen when the databases
> move over to the new registrar. Ie in 2 weeks?

The new domain name policy will come into effect when the new Registry  /
Registrars system goes live.

The date for that has not been set.  At the Sydney AusRegistry seminar today
Chris Disspain did not give a 'go live' date, as they are not yet in a
position to set a date.  They would like to avoid the problem of setting a
go live date, then having to change it if further testing is required.

Chris did say that auDA was currently in acceptance testing phase of the new
Registry, and that when that was complete, they would be able (in
conjunction with the Registry and provisionally accredited Registrars) to
set a 'go live' date.

In discussions with auDA / AusRegistry,  I got the impression that:

* they hoped to go live with at least 5 Registrars operating on the go live
date
* if things go well, the go live might be sometime in June - which is not
too far away

The new policy rules include changes (for com.au) such as:

* you can register multiple domain names for one entity
* you can register a domain name for a trademark
* you can register a domain name without a matching company or business name
if you have a 'close and substantial' connection to the name

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959