the final domain name news - 24/5

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 00:08:19 +1000 (EST)
Hi all

Well, the last news for the time being. If someone decides they would
like use this news service, or a variation of it, please contact me.
Some have contacted me already and there are some moves afoot to
utilise it.

I'm now going to take a 3 week holiday in Europe, and if nothing else
happens... back to Sydney. I'd also be interested in talking to
anyboody who thinks they might have some interesting work for me.
I'll continue to post occasionally, and if anything resurrects itself
regarding news, I'll be in touch.

It's been fun compiling the news... but all good things must come to
an end. I hope you all enjoyed the news!

Regards
David

Domain Name news
Websites Set Up to Monitor New Internet Legislation
(allAfrica.com/Business Day)
NEW laws which have given foreign governments the right to intercept
e-mail and other electronic transactions have prompted the creation
of websites to give early warning about potentially controversial
legislation.
The move comes just as SA is about to finalise the contentious
Electronic Communication and Transactions Bill, which critics argue
gives government too much power to oversee internet domain names and
electronic signatures, as well as monitor transactions.
 http://allafrica.com/stories/200205240176.html

Navy Domain Hijacked By German Pornography Site (Newsbytes)
Due to a domain registration snafu, two Internet addresses used by
the U.S. Navy for recruiting new sailors have recently been
commandeered by other sites, including a pornography site.
 http://newsbytes.com/news/02/176741.html

In Domain Fights, You Can't Always Fight City Hall (Law.com/Miami
Daily Business Review)
A Web site name can create problems if it's based on geography. The
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia has
confirmed a ruling by the World Intellectual Property Organization
arbitration panel that required a U.S. Web site owner to return
barcelona.com to the city of Barcelona, Spain.

http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=law/View&c=Article&cid=ZZZ0GMXBL1D&live=true&cst=1&pc=5&pa=0&s=News&ExpIgnore=true&showsummary=0

DNSO GA VOTE CALLS FOR RE-BID ON ICANN SERVICES (from BNA Internet
Law News)
The General Assembly of the DNSO, an ICANN supporting organization,
has passed a motion calling on the Department of Commerce to hold an
open competition for the services currently provided by ICANN. The
vote is seen as a serious rebuke to ICANN and will make claims of
consensus on its current reform path more difficult.
 http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=759
 http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2002.GA-ICANN-Reform-motions.html

NeuStar Slashes Staff Again (Newsbytes/Washtech)
NeuStar Inc. - the Washington-based operator of the "dot-biz" and
"dot-us" Internet suffixes - laid off another 40 employees this week
and revealed plans to consolidate its two corporate offices into one.
 http://newsbytes.com/news/02/176748.html
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A264-2002May23.html

ICANN to revamp management basics (Reuters)
The Internet addressing group meets this weekend to sort through
restructuring plans.

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=internetnews&StoryID=1003453
 http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2110814,00.html
 http://news.com.com/2100-1023-921867.html
 http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/3323559.htm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=594117

ICANN Meets to Figure Things Out
It'll be a private meeting in Washington this weekend, during which
members of the Internet's overseer will discuss all the messy issues
that keep cropping up about how the group is supposed to function.

See http://www.alfa-redi.com/noticia/ for the web version of the
news, along with the last week's archive archive.

=====
David Goldstein
post: 82 Kingston Road, Coventry CV5 6LR, UK
email: Goldstein_David&#167;yahoo.com.au
phone: +44 24 7667 7226 (home) +44 7786 704 887 (mobile)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Save your important files online for easy access!