Re: [DNS] New 2LD Proposals (to date)

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:56:10 +1000 (EST)
I am confident that people who strongly want new 2LDs created will
put in submissions proposing those 2LDs (and try to get on the panel).

What is not so clear is whether anyone who doesn't want new 2LDs
created will bother to put in a submission along those lines.
It's often hard to get people to argue for the status quo.

] Companies and organisations are already confused enough about which 2ld
] to join (org vs asn, com vs net (or both)), but adding new ones.... what
] is that actually supposed to achieve?
]
] Is it simply another revenue stream for the registrars? or is it for the
] good of the Australian internet?  I cant see how confusing people who
] are joining the internet, and those already there is going to help.
]
] What will more domains do? It will do exactly what happened with the
] release of the new tld's... it sent people on a mad rush to get the best
] names possible.... and that is simply a benefit to the registrars
] ONLY... not to companies feeling they need to go and spend money to
] reserve their *marks or risk having to get into litigation down the
] track.
]
] I mispoke in my previous email where I said:
]
] >create:
] >.info.au
] >.biz.au
]
] >open:
] >.conf.au
] >.id.au
]
] Because info.au already exists.....
]
] Can Australia deal with the inclusion of .biz.au?   perhaps... many
] more? shop.au, web.au, blah.au? I doubt it...
]
] Creating these would simply help the business plans of the registrars
] and no one else.
]
] ...Skeeve
]