RE: [DNS] Competition between 2LDs & monopoly registry operators

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:58:21 +1000
> On the other hand,
> too many 2LDs could cause consumer confusion.

This is a really weird concept.

"Lets not have more options because WE think THEY won't understand"

Gee, why don't we apply that to everything else too.

"Lets not have any new models of cars, because it could cause consumer
confusion.  Lets not have any new hairdressers open up because it could
cause consumer confusion".

That must be the only possible argument that the existing free-to-air TV
station owners haven't used in their attempts to stop competition from Pay
TV.  We should suggest it to Kerry Packer.  "Lets not have pay / cable TV
competing with existing TV channels - it could cause 'consumer confusion'.

I can see the lead story on 60 minutes (read with deep serious voice):

"CONSUMER CONFUSION - the new cancer eating at our society!  See why the
government must act to limit diversity!  We tell you how unchecked growth of
products & services is bringing the country to its knees.  'CONSUMER
CONFUSION' - tonite at 7:00".

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959