Fwd: Internet Society bids to run .ORG

From: Stephen Loosley <stephen§melbpc.org.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:01:32 +1000
Hello there,

Forwarded for information: The following Internet Society news
may be of interest. Note: Gobal Membership of ISOC is free of
charge :-)

Date: 19 Jun 02 10:51:20
From: Membership&#167;isoc.org (Internet Society)
Subject: Announcing ISOC's Bid to Run .ORG!

Dear Internet Society Member:

I am writing to inform you of a recent decision by the Internet
Society Board of Trustees to submit a bid to the Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers, Inc. ("ICANN") to succeed VeriSign,
Inc. as the registry operator for the .ORG top-level domain.

This bid is being announced formally, and we wanted to be sure you were
informed. Now that the bid is being officially submitted, we can provide you
with more specifics.

We’ve set up a section of our Web site (http://www.isoc.org/dotorg) that
should answer your questions about .ORG, why ISOC is making a bid, and
the structure we envision. I hope that you will support ISOC in these efforts.

If you do, we ask that you send a letter of support to ICANN. Please visit

http://www.isoc.org/dotorg and use the online submission form you’ll find there.

As one of the oldest "Internet institutions," ISOC has long led activities
that contribute to an open and stable Internet. Through its initiatives in
support of education and training, Internet standards and protocol, and public
policy, ISOC has played a critical role in ensuring that the Internet has
developed in a stable and open manner and we believe that this is a natural
extension of those efforts.

ISOC's mission is wholly consistent with a non-commercial philosophy and
our plans for .ORG will enable it to flourish as a truly global home dedicated
to serving the unique interests of non-commercial organizations on the net.
In addition, ISOC expects to be able to add significant value to the registry
space in total, given our roots, values, and technical knowledge.

We have chosen to work with Afilias Limited, which will be our back-end registry
services provider. Afilias successfully deployed the first EPP-based registry
system with the launch of .INFO, and has a proven back-office system that can
clearly execute the policies required for a stable and effective
management of .ORG.

This is an excellent partnership for ISOC, non-commercial entities, the .ORG
registry, and the Internet, and we thank you in advance for your support.

Warm regards,

Lynn St. Amour
President/CEO, ISOC
--