RE: [DNS] Very Concerned RE Trademark and IP issues with 'Generic Auctions'

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:08:57 +1000
> I am interested in Trademark and intellectual Property issues and the
> conduct of the Generic Auctions taking place.

There appears to be no difference between acquiring a generic domain name
via auction, registering a domain name via the normal purpose for the first
time, or purchasing a company that as part of its assets has a domain name.

In each case, other entities which have a trademark equal to or similar to
the domain name may have the right to stop the domain name holder from using
that domain name.

Lets not overdramatise this.

Its not the job of auDA (or the job of someone selling a company that has a
domain name as an asset) to point out every possible outcome no matter how
unlikely to the purchaser.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959