Re: [DNS] Solution to Name Registration

From: Michael-Pappas <auda§michael-pappas.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:06:50 +1000 (EST)
Adam,

>>I'm not going to take this much further, but your ideas for DNS are
>>very different than mine.

Well I presumed that we could both have our options out there, you are
obviously looking for a bit so here it is..
The reason is that I don't have time to answer your every comment that was
covered the paragraph before, doubling up to confuse the issue.
>>I feel that domain should be used in ways that compliment companies,
>>organisations, individuals, non-profits policital parties eetc etc and
>>you are using leglisative law to restrict and stop open use of the
>>DNS...
>
> For one VERY good reason.
>
> Because all companies, organisation, individuals, non-profits,
> political  parties etc have to be registered under LEGISLATIVE LAW.
>
> That solves conflicts and confusion.

I don't think that people should be restricted to ridiculous naming rights
that are restrictive in the DNS. I'm not disagreeing with registering the
company, non-profit etc etc to stop confusion in business practice.
These differing bodies do marketing and have brand names and trade marks
and such, these vary indifferently and restricting use to one name and one
level is highly unfair.
Example ;

a political party runs a junior campaign to get membership and calls it

'Youth in Politics'

You are saying that they can't get a name in the .au space to do marketing
and promote this such as youthinpolitics.asn.au, they have to use their
full registered name which can sometimes be very long winded and not at
all friendly to TV, print and other media, which you profess you are in i
would have thought that you could see that point...
Separating us from the rest of the world would see the fall of business
that can afford to run a site as they are not found nor are the names
applied to the IP's remembered easily and not so easily for those that
want it that way.
Or do you feel that the world DNS should do the same? Do you have inoz.com
as a registered name? It seems that it's registered to Todd Corporation
Pty Limited so in your own thinking your not entitled to your own domain.
> The DNS policy that exists does not provided entitlement, nor does it
> solve  confusion, it creates it.  You confirm that by specifically
> ignoring my  comments about wd.com.au

I ignored a lot more because than just this point, but I feel that they
are all entitled to it..
I don't see you point in registering a company with every letter and
registering any name that you want, this is not how the rules are
interpeteted... you are going to far with the ruling as it is not allowed.
>>Not my idea of the DNS...
>
> DNS is a way in which people can remember names instead of numbers.
> It  translates a humanly readable name into an IP address so that the
> computers  can create a transit path between the human and the
> destination.
>
> It provides no "identity" nor does DNS provide any rights or
> entitlements  or freedoms on the Internet.  It is merely a translation.

So you saying that my identity michael-pappas.com or michaelpappas.com or
michael.pappas.name is not my identity on the internet, this is so far
from the truth. I can change IP's and you might never know but I will
always have my identity, and I've had it from birth it's not changing. In
fact any one can change provider and you may never know but their name
will remain the same. I can post to a site, I can have an unfinished site
because I have little time to work on it, I can spend hrs on it having a
completed site, I can post what I like on the site.. as to can everyone
else.
Regards,

Michael-Pappas.