RE: [DNS] Fulfilment speed

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:19:09 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Jon Lawrence wrote:

> or...are they simply not escaping the characters out correctly in the xml
> code they are submitting...

RFC 1035 (perhaps obsoleted, though I couldn't find anything that was
a 'standard' that defined valid chars) says:

"The labels must follow the rules for ARPANET host names.  They must
start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior
characters only letters, digits, and hyphen.  There are also some
restrictions on the length.  Labels must be 63 characters or less."

That is, &, &#167;, / aren't valid chars in domain names.

Unless you're talking about 'characters in the application that aren't
part of a domain name' ? In which case, that'd be pretty dumb (because
'&#167;' is part of virtually everyone's email address)???

Regards,

Saliya