ABN

From: Shane O'Dea <lists§odea.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:33:31 +0930
At 02:57 PM 16/08/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Lindsay is correct (at least according to the ATO). If you are carrying on
>a business you must have an ABN.

Chris,

That is actually not correct...  There is no legal requirement for people
carrying on a business to have an ABN or to quote an ABN.  It is also true
that there are consequences (for some who don't have an ABN) such as having
tax deducted from payments to your business...  However, this does not
change the law... and the law is that there is no legal requirement to have
an ABN.

For example, say I carry on the business of residential property
investment.  Yes, this can be a business.  I have a client how owns 70 plus
residential properties...  He is definitely in business...  There is no
legal requirement to quote an ABN to people paying residential rents, and
there is no requirement for residential tenants to deduct tax from
rent.  Consequently, such a person doesn't need an ABN.  Chris, are you
suggesting such a person should register for an ABN in order to apply for a
domain name?

Peace,

Shane