RE: [DNS] Forcing web hosting clients to change registrar

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:12:12 +0100
Hi Justin

The newly posted code of conduct sort of covers this issue but it doesn't
seem to have been directly addressed.
See: http://www.auda.org.au/policy/code-committee-2002/final-code.pdf

The most relevant clauses that I can find are as follows:

<snip>
Clause 5.6
A Domain Name Supplier (including a registrar and a reseller) may make an
offer to a registrant for domain name services (other than as described
in clauses 5.1-5.6 above), provided:
(d) it is clearly explained that acceptance of the offer may require the
registrant to either transfer between agents (resellers) within the databases
of the registrar-of-.au Domain Name Suppliers? Code of Practice v1.2002
record, or transfer to a new domain name licence with a different registrar-ofrecord;
</snip>

Though this is really is directed at unsolicited renewal notices and is
only relevant to this case if "domain name services" is defined to include
hosting.  Unfortunately this term is not defined in the document.

<snip>
Clause 6
If a Domain Name Supplier provides bundled services to its customers (which
include the provision of services relating to Domain Names), then the Domain
Name Supplier must specify the unbundled price of each Domain Name Licence.
</snip>

This clause would probably be of more assistance in this context as it would
force the hosting provider to disclose more clearly to the customer what
they are doing.  It's not clear to me though whether this clause was designed
to cover the practice you are referring to.

regards
jon