Whois Responsibility

From: Blinky Bill <bill78562000§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:18:44 +0100 (BST)
I was quite surprised by the number of irregularies I
came across from a random sampling of domain name
registrations.

While the onus is on the Registrant to provide
accurate information I also was under the impression
that the Registrar was under some obligation to verify
application details. And part of their accreditation
was that they could do so.

For example one domain was by a company whose ACN was
reserved, (RSV status) this is clearly stated as
unacceptable in the Guidelines for Accredited
Registrars on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for
Open 2LDs.
http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-2002-17.txt

Other information included mismatched Registrant and
ABN details etc etc. Are there not rules to ensure the
integrity of the Whois data.

I thought that the Chief Policy Officer was supposed
to ensure that these sort of things did not happen as
part of the accreditation process. The question is who
is not doing their job correctly.

While everyone sings praises for fast turnaround in
domain name applications I have my doubts as to
whether applications are verified correctly by
Registrars in the rush to increase their customer
base.

If auDA is serious about the integrity of the au name
space then perhaps it should look at how it is
ensuring its policies are followed. If auDA is sincere
about self-regulation then it should act now with a
heavy hand in stamping out these problems.

Is it a case of self-regulation or no-regulation?

Blinky