Re: [DNS] Root Zone Changed

From: Lucian Daniel Kafka <luci§conexim.com.au>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 12:40:33 +1100
At 05:10 PM 8/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Kim Davies wrote:
>
> > Quoting Lucian Daniel Kafka on Saturday November 09, 2002:

> > | You do have to change your hints file - its like a regular zone refresh
> > | except manual.
> >
> > Well, the old IP address for the J root server still works. And even
> > if it didn't the other 12 still work. The only time you would have to
> > manually update your hints file is if all (or practically all) of the
> > root servers changed. This is unlikely to happen any time soon, and
> > certainly not before everyone has updated their software (BIND etc.) and
> > got new hint files anyway.
> >
> > So, I don't agree..
> >
> > kim
>

>The old IP for J will go away shortly, but I agree with kim, 12 out of the
>13 should be plenty nuff.. The new IP is in the new hints file for the
>next bind..

Doing nothing is one of the solutions. Some people are still keen to keep
the consistency by the book, letting aside the incurred lookup delays when
old J's round-robin term comes up, or any security concerns regarding the
query of an untrusted non-authoritive server.

Kind regards,

Lucian Kafka
www.conexim.com.au