RE: [DNS] can anyone help me out with this query?

From: Michael McKinnon <mjm§mentalpopcorn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:31:05 +1100
I would expect that if a registrant used one clause of the allocation and
eligibility rules to obtain a domain name, that this does not exclude them
from using another to keep it.

The allocation and eligibility rules are quite clear, so I would suggest
that using that as the basis of a claim against the registrant will not
work.

The only alternative that I have seen in this sort of case (if applicable
here), is to start action under Fair Trading legislation on the basis that
the registrant is involved in misleading and/or deceptive conduct.

If the registrant in question is a direct competitor to your client and is
using the domain name that is exactly the same as your client's business
trading name - then I would suggest there is possibly some strength in this
being misleading.  Of course, this can only be proven if your client held
the trading name well before the registrant obtained the domain name in
question.

At the end of the day, though, auDA always reminds us of the one critical
element in this entire process - "FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED"

Thanks...MJM