Re: [DNS] Consumer Alert

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:59:33 +0100
Quoting Ron Stark on Thursday March 06, 2003:

| All renewals are then done at a *lower* rate, and solely through a central
| authority, or at worst, solely through only accredited registrars.  Just
| like car registration renewals.

How would you deal with the current industry which predominantly
involves third parties running web and internet functions on behalf of
registrants? I'm not sure a company who pays someone to "run my website"
would be expecting to get their bills.

If you decide it is a good thing, that there should be the opportunity
for a middle man or agent between the registry and the end user - be it
a registrar, reseller, afilliate, whatever, you will always have the
possibility for problems.

If you do eliminate any possibility for a middle man, you may then get a
situation where the middle man will still exist, will register a domain
name on behalf of the registrant, with the contact details pointing to
the agent rather not the registrant which I dont think is a good outcome.

kim
(personally an advocate of the auDA does everything at cost model)