international domain news

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:20:20 +1000 (EST)
Tourism Tasmania loses bid for anti-woodchipping domain
Tourism Tasmania has lost its bid to secure the rights to a
domain name currently being used to criticise the Tasmanian
Government's forestry policy.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20274401,00.htm

Looking for the Beef (.com)
Nowadays, not even the greediest of domain-name resellers
expects to find a buyer willing to fork over the six- and
seven-figure sums once paid for Web addresses like
drugs.com or business.com.
 http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58763,00.html

ICANN - Proposed Corrections to Bylaws
To the Board and the Community: On 25 February 2003 and 18
March 2003 (effective 25 March 2003), the ICANN Board
adopted corrective revisions to the New Bylaws that went
into effect on 15 December 2002. Since that time, several
additional items needing technical corrections have come to
light. (This is not surprising considering the growth in
detail of the bylaws. The present bylaws are composed of
approximately 23,500 words, compared to 10,600 words in the
bylaws before 15 December 2002.) In each case, the revision
is intended to correct an inconsistency or inadvertent
omission.

http://www.icann.org/legal/proposed-bylaws-corrections-11may03.htm

Staff Manager's Issues Report on Privacy Issues Related to
Whois

http://www.icann.org/gnso/issue-reports/whois-privacy-report-13may03.htm

Launch of MYNIC’s Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy
(MYDRP) - press release
MYNIC will be launching its Domain Name Dispute Resolution
Service (MYDRP) today to resolve disputes between the
registrant of a .my top-level domain and a third party with
regards to competing rights over the use of a domain name.
This dispute resolution is governed by terms set out in
MYNIC’s Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy. Any party
wanting to use the MYDRP or to participate in a domain name
dispute resolution proceeding must comply with these terms.

http://www.mynic.net.my/newhp/announcements/Press-Release-17apr03.htm

Malaysian ISP battle heats up
More Malaysians are still lining up to get online access,
generating hot competition and revenues for Internet
service providers (ISPs), but statistics reveal that the
appetite for surfing has gone down.
Statistics from country code top level domain (ccTLD)
manager Mynic, operated by Mimos, show that there were only
7,936 registrations for com.my, net.my, org.my, edu.my, and
mil.my domain names last year.

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2003/5/5/technology/02isp&sec=technology

Kids.us Ready For Launch
NeuStar has announced that its .kids.us domain will soon
launch, creating a new "Internet domain that parents and
children can trust for fun, educational and appropriate
online activity." The sunrise period for .kids.us begins
June 17, running through August 15, 2003.
 http://www.udrplaw.net

Blogger forces Irish domain registry into sunlight
Irish blogger and Internet consultant Antoin O'Lachtnain
has succeeded in his bid to force the secretive company
running Ireland's .ie domain into the open.

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=irishfreedomofinf1052737261&area=news

Stelios High Court favourite vows to battle on
Contrary to our story on Friday that EasyGroup had called
off its easy domain crusade, boss Stelios Haji-Iannou has
been in touch to assure us that he will strike down another
three "easy" offenders in the next few months at the High
Court.