Unpaid domains

From: Lucian Daniel Kafka <luci§conexim.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:30:04 +1000
Hi.

I would like to have some feedback on an issue that may affect some of you:
Money lost due to unpaid domain registration fees.

Although we charge up-front for domain registrations, there are certain
circumstances in which we end up with domains being registered but not paid
for - mostly due to mis-understandings or bad-faith registrants (ie credit
card charge-backs, etc). The figures seem to revolve around 0.5% of
registrations - which doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up quickly.

It would be illegal and highly unpractical for us to try to sell these
domains to recover the out-of-pocket expenses.

What I would like to see is a way of recycling these domains. A new policy
clause that will allow to return these domains back (like in the free
cancellation period) on the grounds that a domain has not been paid for.
This would protect retailers at no real cost to the other parties in the
domain chain.

Kind regards,

Lucian Kafka
www.conexim.com.au