Re: [DNS] More on the issue of reseller / registrar relationship

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:49:38 +0200
Quoting Steven Ebsary on Monday June 23, 2003:

| This model is a chain licensing model, auDA controls the domains, the
| registry supplies them, the registrar provides the interface to the
| registry and applies the policies to hand them out, and the reseller
| bundles them with thier services to provide value add.

Well if you want to introduce clutter to the industry, it seems this
is the right approach. Having additional segments each relying on each
other like this seems to further complicate things. If you want to do it
this way I'd rather have a administratively thick registry that does all
the policy evaluation of the registrar, and getting rid of registrars.

| To compare this to another model, you just need to look at phone services,
| Australian Communication Authority provides the phone numbers, Telstra provides
| the lines, Primus supplies the billing and extra services to the clients.
| Nowhere along the line does the client have a relationship with anyone
| other than Primus, except maybe the knowledge that they exist in the chain.

I dont think this is a good comparison. A domain name is an independent
entity that can operate unencumbered - distinct from a service. A phone
number is pretty much a property bound to the telco service. Furthermore
it _belongs_ to the telco, it is just leased to you for the duration of
the service. It is like IP addressing, not like domain names.

I dont want to have to buy a web hosting service, or have to become a
reseller/registrar, just to operate my own domain. Some kind of forced
supply chain where you have to buy from an agent sucks IMHO.

kim