Re: [DNS] More on the issue of reseller / registrar relationship

From: Lucian Daniel Kafka <luci§conexim.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:22:45 +1000
At 10:09 AM 24/06/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>At 16:38 +0100 23/6/03, Jon Lawrence wrote:
>
> >>It allows resellers the right to form a agreement with the registrant,
> >>regarding the domain name, so the registrant doesnt have to deal with
> >>both the registrar and the reseller.
> >
> >That's easy - go get accredited as a registrar.  You can't have it both
> >ways.
>
>Except that auDA have inserted a $3000 per annum obstacle
>in the way of that cunning plan.
>
>In my opinion a one-time $3000 fee would be justifiable.
>That would cover the cost of administering the accreditation
>process. But once a registrar is up and running, ongoing
>costs are (or should be) minimal.
>
>A $3000 per annum fee is simply an artificial construct
>designed to stifle competition in the registrar segment
>of this industry.
>
>  ...Richard.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the fee, this does insure that the
competition is more of a serious nature. You don't want to really have a
lot of competing registrars that do a dozen domains per month - they become
more of a liability to the industry.

Kind regards,

Lucian Kafka
www.conexim.com.au