Re: [DNS] More on the issue of reseller / registrar relationship

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:03:25 +1000
Sean Finn [sean&#167;teknol.com.au] wrote:
> To all in general, not directed at any individuals, again, my 2 cents.
>
> Its not the fact that they run the perl script.
>
> Its the fact that they have *proven* their technical ability to run a perl
> script.
> Agreed to run said script in a fancy fashion, and not to waver too far,
> and agreed to be watched and monitored, for example, if their flair for perl
> programming gets too fancy and they do something funky but disallowed. They
> agree to be axed, or fix up their fancy script to conform again.
>
> -There has to be an agreement to the next level in the .au foodchain at the
> registrar level,
> -Someone has to pay for it.
> -Someone has to watch it.
>

> * Its called becoming a registrar.*
>
> Proving your technical ability,
> Paying for it, (Someone has to ,its commercial after all, not a charity.)
> And agreeing to be slapped if you go outside the guidelines.
>
> If you want that level of control, make it worth auda's while, pay to become
> a registrar, and prove your ability.
> Its not up to them to pay for it after all.
>
> If you're not at that level, hook into someone who has, hang off their
> coattails, and resell their products.
>
> Its Harsh.
>
> Its Commerce.
>
> Im Sorry.
>
> My 2 Cents +- 3% Inflation.

being a serious about being a registrar is not cheap. Enetica has spent
over $.25m on its software alone. the $3000 dollar/year is only a barrier to
entry to small players who will only register a few dozen domains a month.

the fundamental problem in my mind is the market is too small to support
even the current number of registrars. smaller registrars would do a lot better
to become virtual registrars and not bother trying to reinvent the wheel.

just random thoughts.

Vic