Re: [DNS] Sneaky registrar transfer

From: David Keegel <djk§cybersource.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:40:57 +1000 (EST)
] At 8:43 +1000 16/7/03, Craig Ng wrote:
]
] >What is auDA supposed to do??
]
] auDA have complete control over the way domain name policy is
] managed in the .AU name space. If the current policy does not
] allow them to ***protect consumers*** of .AU domain names,
] then it is auDA's responsibilty to CHANGE THE POLICY SO THEY CAN.

It would be nice if there is a way to do this, without causing
much disruption to legitimate activities.

] So, the policy change required would be along the lines:
] If you're not an auDA accredited registrar or a reseller
] registered with one then you are not allowed to make changes
] to .AU domains which are not your own.

Be careful of throwing out babies with bathwater.

My day job is as an IT consultant for Cybersource.  If a client
(whose computer systems we manage, because they don't have any
IT staff of their own, lets say) wants me to fill in the paperwork
to register a domain for them, you're saying I have to tell them
"sorry, I can't help you to register a domain because auDA policy
forbids that"?

If the answer is that I could be the tech contact for the domain
and thereby have access to their domain, then what is stopping a
shonky domain license vendor from being the tech contact for all
the domains they have registered?

I would really like it if someone could find a way to acheive
Richard's objective (without collateral damage), but I don't
think there is any easy obvious solution.  If there was, auDA
would have implemented it already.

But please keep suggesting ideas - maybe someone will come up
with an idea that could work.  Or gain a wider appreciation for
why the apparently easy answer won't work.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cybersource.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
 Cybersource P/L: Linux/Unix Systems Administration Consulting/Contracting