Re: [DNS] The .pro name space.

From: jamesguy <jamesguy§guyassociates.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:09:15 +1000
I have applied for membership, I am involved in the domain name industry, I am also a member of the community that uses this resource.  And it is about time these issues were raised.  Your opinion is noted and discarded.

> I don't see why you're even making these statements. From where I sit, it
> seems you've got no current interest in the Australian domain name industry.
> You're not a auDA member, your not a registrar and your not a reseller. What
> do you care about or even know about the Australian domain name industry?
> The list was nice and quite  with just  David Goldstein's international
> domain news for about three weeks until you invaded it with crap yesterday.
>
> > From: jamesguy <jamesguy&#167;guyassociates.com.au>
> > Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:56:35 +1000
> > To: dns&#167;lists.auda.org.au
> > Subject: Re: RE: [DNS] The .pro name space.
> >
> > [> > auDA is a private non-profit company
> >> IANAL, but by my reading of the Corporations Act (2001) as auDA is not a
> >> proprietary company but is company limited by guarantee, then its
> >> technically a public company, not a private company.]
> >
> > You are correct auda is a monopoly which basically has the same effect as a
> > cartel "it monopolises".  The cartel is formed by the registries who agree to
> > provide services under the monopoly effect of auda.
> >>

> > [> > that makes money cartel style with government approval
> >> Actually, its 'monopoly style', rather than 'cartel style'.  auDA is a
> >> Regulatory Authority, and like most other Regulatory Authorities (think
> >> about it) its a monopoly.  The ACCC has the power to allow Regulatory
> >> Authorities to be monopolies.]
> >
> > The effect is the same.  How about adressing the issues.  And in any case
> > surely issues of accountability and transparency in tendering should be on the
> > agenda.  Currently they are not.  Or Mark do you have information to the
> > contrary.
> >>

> > [> > and government representation on the Board (as I understand it)
> >> That's not correct either.  See http://www.auda.org.au/about/board.html.]
> >
> > I was under the impression that a NOIE rep takes part in the board meetings.
> > If that is incorrect then so be it.  It does not detract from my argument for
> > transparency and accountability.
> >>

> > [> > its internal operations including expenditure should be accountable and
> >> open to transparent process
> >> auDA budget, board minutes, and audited accounts are on the auDA web site.]
> >
> > What about a policy for appointment of contractors that is tender related.
> > counter argument is ineffective in addressing the issues I have raised.
> >>

> > [> > sub-contractors should provide services for tender on the same basis that
> >> any government authority operates
> >> When auDA reviews its suppliers of services, I would hope that 'general
> >> competence', 'understanding of the domain name system', and 'the ability to
> >> get facts right before posting to a public listserver' are major selection
> >> criteria.]
> >
> > What makes you think that auDA will even consider reviewing its list of
> > suppliers.  You assume alot.
> >>

> >> I'm making a list of the ten legal firms with the worst understanding of the
> [...]

Kind regards

James Guy

Principal
Guy & Associates
      Solicitors & Trade Marks Agent

Level 25 Optus Centre
367 Collins Street
Melbourne
VIC 3000
AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61 3 9221 6151
Fax:   +61 3 9383 6161
Mobile:+61 0407085553
website:  guyassociates.com.au

This email (including any attachments) is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It contains information that may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the addressee,or you have received this email by mistake, you must not disclose,copy or distribute it or use the information contained in it (or any attachments) in any way.

If you have received this message in error please notify Guy & Associates by return email or reverse charges telephone call to +61 3 9221 6151 and then delete this message and any copies of it. Please also contact us if you have any doubts about the authenticity of this email.

Any legal professional privilege between solicitor and client, or any other rights, are retained by Guy & Associates and are not lost or waived because you have received this message in error. This email (including any attachments) may also contain computer viruses or other defects. Guy & Associates is not liable for any loss or damage that may be caused by these viruses or defects.