Re: [DNS] auDA password recovery

From: Kirk Fletcher <kirk§enetica.com.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:58:19 +1000
> tool have been resolved. This was of course one way of addressing the issue.
>
> In my opinion http://admin.auda.org.au was a valuable resource to the
> industry and the end consumers.

I find this kind of annoying in some ways though...

Some registrars make it difficult to get domain password - or at least
bury it with other details (such as having separate key for domain
management, or burying it with marketing info, etc).  I'm not saying
that registrars are necessarily doing these things deliberately - but
it was often simpler with some clients who didn't know their
passwords to simply direct them to the auda site.

Having one centralised site for password retrieval was quite useful
for this reason.   That said, the security issues can't be ignored - but
as their was no information which wasn't already available in whois,
an IP restriction may have been better (eg, allow a few requests per
hour per IP).

Kirk Fletcher