Re: [DNS] domain names are old hat

From: Bennett Oprysa <bennett§enetica.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:21:03 +1000
Kim Davies wrote:
> That's a simplification. You can't cleanly separate education and
> marketing apart in this instance, because the act of marketing here
> is really rather raising market awareness - therefore, education. The
> important thing is not to be contradictory. I still think everyone
> should call a spade a spade, and ultimately that will reduce confusion.

I agree with this, and I have actually asked auDA to look at the issue
of possible confusion created by the AusRegistry campaign. If the
marketing is contradictory to the education campaigns, we will all end
up worse off. The message needs to be consistent. Changes have been made
by AusRegistry in regards to this issue.

One way to look at the webnames campaign is that it will target people
who only respond to the webname terminology, and according to
AusRegistry, they are confident that a large number of people will do
so. Once they are attracted to the site, they are 'educated' about the
fact that what they are after is in fact a domain name, and by the time
they pass on to a registrar web site, they at least know what a domain
name is.

Bennett.